Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Install Enterprise Linux on HP dx2700

Installing Linux on HP dx2700 was a pain. On first trial, the installer was hang on loading ata_piix driver. The BIOS setting for SATA Port 0/1 Working Mode was Native.
On second trial, I set the hard drives setting on BIOS to None (Like the one I used on Windows 2003 installation). The installation went OK until reboot. The computer displayed "Error loading operating system". Then I realized that I haven't reenabled the hard disk and changed the boot sequence. Also I changed SATA Port 0/1 Working Mode to Legacy. After that everything was OK.
Of course if I set BIOS setting for SATA Port 0/1 Working Mode to Legacy before installation. The installation will be fine, but the hard drive will be detected as hda, the performance will be poor.

No comments: